Lost / Damaged

Lost/Damaged Passport: Issue of Duplicate Passport/Emergency Certificate(EC)

When a passport is lost or damaged, a Duplicate in Lieu of Lost or Damaged Passports is issued. Application for issue of duplicate passport is to be checked at the Consulate before submission at BLS Centre.

Applications for lost/damaged Passports must be submitted in person by the applicant and not sent by post. Tatkal Scheme (Emergency Service) is not applicable in cases of lost/damaged Passports.


Fill in online passport registration form at http://passport.gov.in/nri/ this will generate a PDF file.

  1. Take a print out of the online application form (PDF file), fill-in its pages 2-3. Please ensure that specimen signatures are affixed, in black ink, at four spaces provided and good quality photograph (size 2inch X 2inch) is pasted on its first page.
  2. 4 (four) Passport size (2 inch x 2 inch) identical photographs showing frontal view of the face with white background; (three) additional photographs may be required in some cases where Police verification in India needs to be done.
  3. A Police Report regarding lost or stolen Passport.
  4. A photocopy of lost Passport/damaged Passport.
  5. Self declaration in the prescribed format (Annexure F) .
  6. Three copies of duly filled in Personal Particulars Form.
  7. Proof of legal stay permission in Canada. It is necessary to furnish proof of a valid Visa or Residence Permit (PR). Please note that incase your PR card is issued after 01.01.2015 a copy of landing paper is also required. If there is no valid Visa or PR-card then a short validity Passport for two years can be issued.
  8. Fee $ 255/- + $2 Consular surcharge (for a 36-page booklet) + BLS C$ 7.40 including tax

Any other document establishing applicant's identity as supporting document like, PAN card, Ration card, Election ID Card etc in original with a copy (the IDs furnished should preferably be issued by Government of India or other Indian authorities like the state governments etc. IDs issued in the Canada would be considered only as secondary proof).

 If original PR card or other resident permit (Student/Work permit)  is not submitted by resident of Canada:

An Affidavit regarding non-acquisition of Canadian nationality is to be submitted alongwith a Search Letter from the Canadian authorities(CIC) that applicant has not acquired Canadian citizenship.


Please note that Personal Particular Form (in triplicate) for Police Verification (see under forms) may be required to be filled in some cases where identity is not conclusively established.